Saturday, March 21, 2015

Belt Rack

Well, I had really hoped that the drive shaft for my grinder would arrive by now, but unfortunately the supplier didn't ship it out in time and it won't be here until next week.  So, after sheading a few tears and feeling sorry for myself, I took the opportunity to organize my shop.

With the addition of the new grinder, I had to rearrange my benches in order to get my new tools into a place where it will be usable.  It took a lot of thought and shifting things around to get all the tools in places where they can be easily used without feeling too crowded.  In a little shop like mine, that was quite a task, but, I think I have everything accessible now.

I also took advantage of the extra time to make some racks to hang grinding belts from.  I built them out of some scraps I had lying around the shop.  An old 2x4, a handful of 1/4" dowel rods and a little elbow grease and they were ready to hang.  Here are a few photos to show you how they turned out.

 One of the racks finished and ready to hang.

 Both racks installed in the corner next to the new grinder.  It's good to store things next to where they are used.  Point-of-use storage is what they called it in a class a took in college a long time ago.


I ordered a bunch of different belts to try out.  Since I have never used a 2"x72" grinder before, I'm not sure which kinds of belts will work best for me and what I do, so a good variety at the start should allow me to decide which ones I will order more of.  All in all, I think it turned out quite nice.

Even though I didn't get my grinder finished today, I still feel like I was able to accomplish something productive.  I'm still chomping at the bit to give the grinder a try though.  It's been weeks now since I've worked on a knife build and I'm really starting to miss it.  I better get this thing finished soon before I start going through knife making withdrawals.  I don't think there's a cure for that kind of a disease.  Thanks for stopping by the Robinson Edge.  The next post should be of the grinder up and running.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment