Monday, January 18, 2016

Glaucus #1 Complete

I was able to complete the first Glaucus knife over the weekend and I'm very pleased with the outcome.  The little knife turned out even better than I expected and I really like the overall design and feel of the knife.  It's going to be a great pocket knife.

If you recall where we left off last week, the knife was close to completion.  A little embellishment was all that was lacking.  This little object in my hand is the thumb stud that I turned on my mini wood lathe using files and sandpaper.  Since my phone doesn't take good closeup pics, you'll have to take my word on it until I get out the good camera.

Here is the thumb stud attached to the blade.  Looks right at home.

Now it's time to add some flare and class to this little knife.  Since this one is going to be my own knife, I chose to do my favorite file work patterns.  Maker's prerogative I suppose.  The spacer gets a twisted ribbon pattern as seen above.  The flow of this pattern is really eye catching.

The liners get a climbing vine pattern filed into the edges.  This pattern on such a small scale is really a challenge and I almost went cross eyed doing it.  In the end, it turned out quite nicely.  File work takes a lot of time, but it's always worth the extra effort.

The blade gets etched with my new maker's mark.  The mark is kind of big for this small, two-inch blade, but I still like it.

Here are two quick pics of the finished knife.  Hopefully tonight I can get some shots with the good camera and better lighting, but you can still make out some of the details in these.  I chose an icy-blue color to anodize the liners which compliments the earthy tones of the buckeye burl scales nicely.  I've been carrying this knife for a couple of days now and really like it.  It's the perfect size to get lost in your pocket and be ready for those everyday cutting chores that a good EDC should be able to take care of.  All in all, I'm very please with this knife.  I think this design will turn out to be a very popular one.

Next week we'll continue work on the second Glaucus knife.  I'm a little worried that the mammoth scales as they are will make the handle a little too wide at their current thickness.  I really should have seen this coming before drilling and countersinking for screws.  Sometimes I can just kick myself.  I may end up grinding off some of the thickness which will mean the outer bark of the ivory will be lost.  I'm a little sad about that, but the knife has be be functional first and beautiful second.  I may luck out and find the color of the mammoth to go deep enough into the scales to still be beautiful.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  If not, they will be a nice creamy color that should still look great.  Check back next week for the next update.  Thanks for stopping by the Robinson Edge.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment