Monday, May 2, 2016

Finishing up the Cronus Knife

Between all of the yard work and spring cleaning, my shop time has been in short supply.  It rained all day Saturday, so that put the yard work on hold and drove me indoors.  Since I couldn't get done what needed to be done outside, I took the opportunity to work on the Cronus knife.  In fact, I was able to get the knife completed.  Here are a few pics of the last few steps of this build.

The photo shows the completed blade.  I branded it with my maker's mark and put the finished edge on.  Believe me when I say, it's sharp!

I chose to anodize the liners this nice, sky blue color.  I thought it would compliment the red tones of the bone scales.  The process of anodizing titanium still fascinates me.  It's like painting with electricity.  Anyways, I think they look good.  I also carbidized the lock face to improve lock up and eliminate any potential "stickiness" in the lock.

Here is the knife all finished up and assembled for the last time.  I didn't get a pic of the knife with the thumb stud installed, but I'll get some higher res photos taken in the next few days to really show this knife off.  In my post-build evaluation of this knife, I found that I am very pleased with the overall look.  It's something a little different than my usual pieces and I think that's why I like it so much.  I'll get this one added to the "Available Knives" page as soon as I get some photos taken.  As always, my email subscribers will get a message as soon as it's available.  If you're not on my list, send me an email at theoldstump@live.com or use the "Contact Brandant" box at the bottom of this page and I'll add you in.

My next project will be a fairly large undertaking for me and a step outside my comfort zone.  My sweet daughter is graduating high school and will likely be moving out on her own soon.  I have promised her a kitchen knife set for some time now and it's about time I make good on my commitment.  It will be a four knife set including a chef's knife, boning knife, smaller utility knife and a paring knife.  I have a big plate of 440C for the blades, some 1/4" thick 416 stainless for bolsters, and a nice block of box elder burl for the scales.  I've made a couple kitchen knives in the past for my sweet wife, so it's not something brand new, but building folders is where I'm most comfortable.  I plan to go all out with tapered tangs and dovetailed bolsters.  I might even try some flat grinds on the blades.  I'll have to make that decision soon.  This should be a fun and challenging adventure.  I hope you will follow along with me.  Thanks for stopping by the Robinson Edge.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment