Monday, November 7, 2016

Guardian Knife Begins

Time to start a new knife.  I purchased some really cool lightning strike carbon fiber (LSCF) scales a month or two ago and have been itching to give it a try.  As this kind of material would look good on a tactical style knife, I decided to build one of my Guardians, since it's design is as close to tactical as I have.

This build may be interrupted by some Christmas knife projects that I have planned to start on just as soon as the materials come in, but I thought I would go ahead and begin this new folder.  Here are a few pics of the progress on the Guardian knife.

As always, here is how a knife looks in the beginning stages, all raw materials ready to be shaped at the will of the artisan.  CPM154 for the blade, 440C for the spacer (overkill I know, but I had a piece the perfect size), 416 for the bolsters, 6AL4V titanium liners, and LSCF for the scales.

Here are the handles after the bolsters and scales have been fastned to the liners.  At this point it looks like some random chunks screwed together, but I'll grind them to the right profile in the next step.  I didn't get any pics of the blade, but I did managed to get it profiled and heat treated before finishing up for the weekend.

Here is a final look at the handles.  The LSCF is some cool looking stuff, even at this rough stage, but it's really messy material to work with.  Black powder gets everywhere and the stuff made my hands all itchy like when you work with fiberglass insulation.  Hopefully the final look of the knife will be worth the discomfort.  Thanks for following along with me on this build.  Your comments are always welcome.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment