Monday, June 13, 2016

One Down, Three to Go

This last week I was able to get the first of the four knives finished for my daughter's chef's knife set.  When I showed it to her, her eyes lit up and the smile on her face was well worth what it took to make the knife.  The other three are progressing well too.  Here are some pics of what I was able to accomplish.

Above is a photo of the finished handle on the paring knife.  The satin finish on the bolsters really sets off the box elder burl scales, and the black liners really define the scales as well.  Dark liners look great with light-colored scales.  The opposite is true as well; light-colored liners look terrific with dark scales.

Here is a spine view of the handle to show off the dovetails and the look of the liners.  I like it!

I put an oil finish on the paring knife handle, and while it was drying, I got started on grinding the last two knives, the chef's knife and utility knife.  Here they are with the initial hollow grinds completed.  I got a new 8" contact wheel for the grinder this week and gave it its maiden voyage with these two.  It worked great.  After the initial grinds, they went into my heat treatment process.  They'll be ready to go the next time I get out to my shop.  I also got a good start on hand sanding the boning knife as well.

Here is a photo of the finished paring knife.  I designed the handle to fit my daughter's hand, which it does wonderfully.  It's also very well balanced and screaming sharp.  Should make her a great kitchen companion for hopefully the rest of her life.  She was very happy with it and I can't wait to see what the whole set looks like together when finished.  Thanks for tagging along with me on this adventure.  More to come next week.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment