Monday, June 27, 2016

Boning Knife Complete

I made a little more progress on my daughter's kitchen knife set this past weekend.  Knife number two of four is now complete, meaning that I'm halfway there.  Here are a few photos of the progress.

Here's the knife where I left off last week with its chunky-state handle.  Everything is glued and pinned together.  Looks terrible, doesn't it?

The "chunky" bolsters and scales get profiled ground down to the tang.  That's much better.

After spending some time at the grinder, followed by some hand finishing, the knife is practically done.  I know I said it before with the paring knife, but I really like the looks of the black liners with these light-colored wood scales.  Very classy.

An artist needs to sign his work, so here's the boning knife with my maker's mark etched in.

And here's the finished knife.  The handle got an oil rubbed finish with a coat of wax.  The edge is crazy sharp and should make for a real nice meat slicer.  Hopefully that meat doesn't turn out to be my daughter's finger. . .

In addition to the boning knife, I made some good progress on the utility knife, finishing the hollow grind and getting the hand-rubbed finish nearly complete.  This weekend I should have a little more shop time, so I hope to get the next knife completed.  If all goes well, I should be able to finish this set up and make a nice base for it in the next couple of weeks.  Thanks for following along with me on this adventure into kitchen culinary tools.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment