Tuesday, September 8, 2015

File-Worked Liners

Being Labor Day weekend, I spent most of my time with my family and very little out in the shop.  I don't regret that one bit.  Time spent with family is one of the best uses of that precious resource.  I hope you all enjoyed the weekend as much as I.  I did, however, manage to sneak out there for a couple of hours and made slow, but steady, progress on the "Panther" knife.  Little by little, I'll get to the end.  What is it they say, "slow and steady wins the race?"

I apologize again for the quality of this photo.  The camera on my phone really isn't very good and doesn't do closeups.  I almost didn't even show this pic, but it's the only one of took of this weekend's progress.  So, if you squint really hard, you will see both liners stacked together with the completed file work.  It's a simple serpentine pattern that is just semi-circular cuts offset on each side with the edges rounded off to give nice, flowing lines.  I've found that this pattern looks really good with the alternating twist pattern on the blade and spacer.

Well, folks, I'm afraid that's it.  I know it's a little disappointing and anticlimactic, but it's what I did with the spare time I had.  This week, I should be able to get very close to a completed knife if everything goes according to plan.

In the mean time, take a look at my "Available Knives" page.  I've marked down the few knives that I have posted up there so that all knives are priced below $200.  So, if you've had your eyes on one of these pieces, now's the time to act.  Some day soon, my prices will be going up as my work and my name become more recognizable.  With these prices I clear the cost of materials and make about $3.00 per hour for my labor.  Not very profitable, but I don't make them to get rich, I make them because I love to make knives!

Thanks for dropping by the Robinson Edge.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment