Monday, September 28, 2015

The "Bobcat" begins

I don't know about other knife makers, but as soon as I finish up one knife, I simply can't wait to get started on the next.  This knife was no exception.  I call this particular design "Bobcat".  If you haven't noticed, I like to give my knife designs names.  To me, a name sounds so much better than an arbitrary number or some other form of designation.

As I mentioned in my last post, this knife will be entered into a drawing with several other knife makers in a round robin format.  It's a fun way to trade ideas, get to know other makers, and have an opportunity to get a knife from possibly the next Bob Loveless or Ron Lake.  Here's the progress so far.

I got really into this build and I neglected to take very many photos along the way.  I used the same build process with this knife as I do with all of my pieces, so if you want to see how I build my knives, I refer you to my previous posts.  Here you can see the main parts of the knife all laid out.  The blade is 440c stainless steel, the liners are 6AL4V titanium, the bolsters and spacer are 416 stainless steel, and the handle scales will be from a beautiful dyed and stabilized maple burl.  This should make for a nice combination.
 

Obviously, many steps happened between the last photo and this one.  Here, the handles have been drilled, fitted, profiled ground, bolsters and scales have been dovetailed, and everything has been fasted together with stainless steel screws.

In this photo, the handle has been completely assembled with the back spacer fitted to the handle.  The blade has been placed loosely in the handle, as the pivot will be built later on, just to get a feel for the finished look.  After this picture, I was able to get the blade through the entire heat treating process before I quit for the weekend.  I like the way this design is turning out.  I think it will be a real keeper.  All in all, a very productive weekend in the shop.

Thanks for stopping by the Robinson Edge.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment