Saturday, October 8, 2016

Small Wheel Attachment Completed

Well, I finally got my small wheel tool attachment for my grinder done and I must say, I don't know how I got along without it.  Here are a few pics of how it all came together.

Here are the three major components: the tool arm and the two bearing supports.  The tool arm is made out of 1-1/2" square tubing and the bearing supports are made out of 1/4" plate steel.

The bearing supports are attached to the tool arm using some 5/16" threaded rod, nuts and washers.  I had to play with the adjustments until the opening was at the right width and the front and back were square.

Here is the small wheel attachment with a 1" wheel mounted up.  The fit is perfect.

Here is the new tool with a belt attached.  The grinder was actually running at the time of the photo. No vibrations and the belt tracks true.  Sweet!

One final pic of the completed small wheel attachment with a fresh coat of grey paint.  I gave this new tool a pretty good workout with the new Glaucus knife that I have under construction.  It worked so well that I honestly don't know how I got along without.  I can kick myself for not making it sooner.  Oh well, better late than never.  No more relying on my spindle sander for grinding inside curves.  I now have more choices for diameters and I'm not stuck with 80 and 120 grit abrasives.  I can use any belt that I want.  Works wonderfully.

Thanks for stopping by the Robinson Edge.  I'll post some pics next week of the Glaucus build that I have almost finished.  Just a little more detail work yet to do and I'll call it done.  It looks sweet!  I can't wait to show it off, but you'll have to check back next week for that.  Have a great weekend.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment