Monday, December 5, 2016

Boning Knife Almost Complete

I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving as much as I did.  We had a wonderful time together as a family and the turkey was cooked to perfection.  I didn't get any shop time last week due to the festivities, but this weekend I made some pretty good headway on the boning knife.  Here's a look at that progress.

After many hours of grinding and hand sanding, the boning knife has been ground and satin finish. It's about ready for its handle.

Here's a quick look at my new hand sanding tool.  Up until now I have used a single handle tool that was working really well, but it was putting a lot of strain on my wrists and fingers, so I came up with this double handle version.  I have attached a rubber rectangle to both sides that acts as a backing for the sandpaper, helping it get right into the hollow grinds of my blades. This baby has reduced my hand finishing time by over half, and without the finger and wrist strain.  I don't know why I didn't make this a long time ago.

I got into the zone and forgot to take pics of the build until this point.  The bolsters have been peened to the tang and the scales have been attached with pins and epoxy.  Here's the knife all clamped up, awaiting the epoxy to cure.  I'll get the handle shaping and the knife completed in the near future. Thanks for following along with me on this project.

-  Brandant Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment