And finally, the completed utility blade. I took it into the house and my sweet wife put it through its paces in the kitchen. Worked great! It's really a comfortable design, especially for her small hands.
As the title of this post implies, I also experienced some trouble along the way. Here's the bad news.
I tried straightening the blade cold instead of doing it the right way. This is what happens when you try to cut corners. Not a good thing. Now I have to start from scratch with a new knife. There's no way now that I'll have it finished for Christmas. Oh well, you win some and you loose some. Bad things are bound to happen in knife making, but it doesn't take the sting out of a catastrophe like this one. But, I'll just pick myself up from the ashes of defeat, or shards as it were, and start over again. Luckily I had a leftover piece of 440C that fits the chef's knife pattern almost perfectly. At least I don't have to wait for some new steel to be shipped. Well, at least the utility knife works great.
Thanks for following along with me on this project. I had hoped to have this project done this week, but alas, that's just not going to happen. I should get some shop time over the Christmas weekend, so I'll post up next week to show off any new progress.
- Brandant Robinson